Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Applying The New Mode Of Eating To My Gardening Plans

Garden planning time is upon us here in north Texas! 


One of the key things in taking control of my health is the need to eat healthy foods. For me; that translates to the need to grow more of my food so I can eat healthy food. I can then get non-GMO, fresh, local, in-season foods that I know won't have scary chemicals or irradiation. 

The seed companies that I order from do not carry any GMO seeds, and most are heirloom varieties.

I put in my seed orders this week, and I just got confirmation that one of them is already shipped. 

I don't have a lot of space, and many things will be in containers. These make planning somewhat more involved. 

I'll have about 100 square feet of ground space in front of and between some landscape shrubbery in front of my patio. The space is on the north side of the building, so it will get sun until about noon, and then again after 3 pm. This is actually a fairly good thing, as it won't get quite so hot as a full-day direct-sun spot. ( Considering that August in this area routinely has triple-digit temperatures )

I have some seed left over from last year, and got some interesting varieties and some repeats for this year. 

Here is what I either have or have on the way:

Herbs
2 varieties of Cilantro
Basil mix - different sizes, colors, and flavors
Roman Chamomile
Chives
Gleam Mix Nasturtium - I am putting this here as it is edible, and when the seeds are pickled, they are great used like capers.
Oat grass - for the felines

Vegetables:
Kentucky Wonder Pole Bean. This did really well for me last year.
Speckled Calico Pole Lima Bean
Bright Lights Chard
Gonzales Mini Cabbage
Lemon Cucumber
Turkish Orange Eggplant
Spinach mix - there are lots of different spinach varieties
Radish mix - ditto!!
Hot pepper mix - lots of spicy coming up!
Black Hungarian Pepper
Bhut Jolokia Pepper ( also known as Ghost Pepper )
Chinese 5 Color Pepper
Aunt Ruby's German Green Tomato
Rio Grande Tomato - a southwest variety of red plum tomato. I'm going to try these in a hanging planter
Kakai Hull-less Pumpkin - pumpkin that has seeds without hulls. Don't know where I'm going to put this one, but I really want to give it a try.
Acorn Squash, Butternut Squash. I'm going to try these in a couple of really large containers and trellis them up.
Eightball Zucchini
Yellow Summer Squash
Minnesota Midget Melon 
Green Nutmeg Melon

Flowers & Crafts:
Ornamental Peppers - saved seed from last year. This is the pepper you can see in the top picture. It doesn't have much flavor, so I'll treat them as simply ornamental.
Marigold - one of my favorite flowers
Zinnia - did well on the patio last year, this is saved seed from what I grew
Petunia - saved seed, they did even better than the zinnia
Luffa Squash - while these are edible while young, their main use is for their tough fibrous interior once fully mature and dried.
Bushel Gourd - crafts and storage containers. Needs a fair bit of space


There are a couple things that I am going to be paying attention to in making this work. This is not an ordinary vegetable garden plot. I need to keep in mind that the landscapers that take care of the flower beds in the apartment complex work pretty hard at keeping them attractive. 

Also, the bed has been treated with a pre-emergent herbicide, so all the plants will need to be started in seedling trays. 

What I plan to do to handle these points is to grow everything to transplant size and simply put the pot on the bed and surround it with mulch. Doing this will let me arrange color and size attractively and I won't have chemicals in my food plants. I will plant the ornamental and craft items in the ground once they are to transplant size.

No comments:

Post a Comment