Thursday, December 4, 2014

The Self-Induced Disaster Of Packing And Moving

There is a quote from Benjamin Franklin - "Two removes equals one fire" 

I believe that he was understating the situation. Packing, storing my belongings, finding a new residence, moving everything, getting services arranged for, getting unpacked and reorganized has been a nightmare. It seemed that every aspect of this move has taken at least three times as much effort, funds, and time as necessary.

I'm still working on the unpacked and reorganized steps. Living in this swamp of boxes is leaving me somewhat unsettled and disgruntled.

The future garden site
I injured my knee during the move and I'm still not walking very well three weeks later. The fact that today is my 57th birthday is leaving me with the reminder that I don't heal as well or as quickly as I did twenty years ago.

There is some good news in the midst of this. My new neighbors have been very helpful. One young man came over when we were unloading, and gave some much needed assistance. Another neighbor has offered his help in getting a washing machine set up in the house.

I am truly looking forward to building a productive garden in both the front and back yards. The dappled shade here will help keep a garden productive even in the north Texas summer heat.

One of my favorite seed catalogs arrived this week, and I've been enjoying reading the descriptions and dreaming of tomatoes, peppers, and summer squash.

No comments:

Post a Comment